Art and Design A Level at Farlingaye High School
The AS and A2 Art & Design courses offer the opportunity to explore a range of disciplines, including drawing, painting, ceramics, printmaking, sculpture and mixed media.
Gallery visits, visiting artists and workshops are provided to support students in their explorations.
Sketchbooks are used to record research, ideas and experiments.
- Coursework Students will explore and develop their skills using research and recording from primary sources.
- Opportunities to select sources and contextual images for analysis and inspiration will be presented.
- Students will create final outcomes as the realisation of their ideas.
Component 2: Externally set assignment
- A paper will be set in January in which students are given time to generate ideas and practical exploration in response to a given theme.
- Submissions must include preparatory studies and a final timed outcome which is produced over a period of 10 hours.
Component 1 coursework
- Students are required to produce a body of practical work and a personal study in written form, which are interlinked.
- Practical work provides opportunities to pursue your own ideas in a chosen area of Art.
- The written element is presented in the form of an illustrated essay.
Component 2 Externally set assignment
- A paper will be set in January in which students are given time to create practical explorations in response to a given theme.
- Submissions must include preparatory studies and a final timed outcome which is produced over a period of 15 hours.
(GCSE grades) Art & Design B
Both AS and A2 are assessed by marking of practical evidence produced to cover four assessment objectives, each covering 25% of the qualification.
AS Component 1 is 50% and Component 2 is 50% of the final grade.
A2 Component 1 is 40% and Component 2 is 60% of the final grade.
Foundation Studies in Art & Design, Degree in Architecture, Art & Design, Animation, Theatre Design, Illustration, Interior Design, Art History, Graphic Design, Printmaking and Sculpture.
Opportunities in the creative sector are wide-ranging, including workingwithin galleries, education, fim, media, advertising and theatre.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Farlingaye High School directly.