Chemistry AS & A Level at Bishop Ullathorne Catholic School
The A level course will encourage you to be enthusiastic about Chemistry. It will challenge you and make you think for yourself. The course will give you an insight into different kinds of Chemistry which includes the hands‐on work in the lab. A level Chemistry will give you an understanding of how the chemical elements interact and the role they play in making up our world and beyond. It will help you to develop your analytical, evaluative, synoptic and practial skills, including the ability to plan and manipulate information and data.
The course is split into three distinct parts:
- Organic Chemistry which includes alkenes, alkanes and the petroleum industry.
- Physical Chemistry which includes structure, bonding and amount of substance.
- Inorganic Chemistry which includes acids, bases and group 2 and group 7 elemental properties and patterns.
You will need an A grade at GCSE in Additional Science/ Chemistry. In addition, an A grade in Mathematics is required. To support your Chemistry studies it is advised that you also study A level Mathematics.
These qualifications are linear. The external examinations consist of three examination papers assessing knowledge and understanding of scientific ideas, processes, techniques and procedures.
There is no end to them. Science‐related prospects include:
- Medicine, Dentistry, Pathology, Pharmacy, Veterinary Science
- Environmental Work, Water Industries, Pollution Monitoring
- Analysis, Food Science, Forensic Science.
For further information, please contact Mrs Clinton‐Lees — Teacher of Chemistry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bishop Ullathorne Catholic School directly.