AS/A HISTORY (EARLY) at Peter Symonds College
At AS level, you will study Early History 15th - 16th Century:
Unit 1: Historical Themes in Breadth
England in the Middle Ages and the Transition to the Early Modern World
- The Wars of the Roses 1455-85
- The Reign of Henry VII 1485-1509
Unit 2: British History in Depth
- Henry VIII – Authority, Nation and Religion 1509-1540
At A2, you will have the opportunity to study a topic that has attracted particular controversy amongst historians (Unit 3). For your coursework (Unit 4) you will carry out an investigation which covers a 100 year period.
- Early students will study the reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I in Unit 3: Protest, Crisis and Rebellion in England 1536-88.
- Unit 4 coursework will be on The Golden Age of Spain, 1474-1598.
5 GCSE’s at Grades A*-C, including English and Maths. We strongly advise a Grade B in GCSE English due to the complexity of the texts studied and the need for advanced essay writing skills. We will, however, accept committed students with C grades in English. You will need a grade C in History, if you have taken it; however it is not a requirement to have studied History at GCSE provided you have an interest in the subject.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Peter Symonds College directly.