Biology AS & A Level at Bishop Ullathorne Catholic School
Biology at A Level will enable you to:
- develop an interest in and enthusiasm for Biology, including developing an interest in further study and careers in Biology
- appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
- develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of How Science Works
- develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of Biology and how they relate to each other.
A Level Biology is split into six modules. Modules 1 to 4 constitute the stand‐alone AS level qualification.
Modules 1 to 6 (with the practical skills) constitute the full A level.
- Module 1: Development of practical skills in Biology (planning, implementing, analysis and evaluation).
- Module 2: Foundation in Biology. This includes cell structure, biological molecules and membranes, cell division, diversity and organisation, nucleotides and nucleic acids.
- Module 3: Exchange and transport and exchange surfaces and transport in plants and animals.
- Module 4: Biodiversity, evolution and disease, communicable diseases, prevention and the immune system.
- Module 5: Communication, homeostasis and energy (to include respiration and photosynthesis)
- Module 6: Genetics, evolution and ecosystems.
You must have at least a Double Award Science B grade at GCSE level (or grade B in all 3 triple Sciences) and at least a grade B in Mathematics.
A level Biology is a two year course with terminal assessments in June 2018.
An A level in Biology will lead to a wide range of career options from the more obvious choices such as medicine and dentistry, to conservation, diet and sports science. As with all of the sciences, it will challenge you but employers will judge your A level in Biology very highly.
For further information, please contact Mrs Dines ‐ Head of Science
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bishop Ullathorne Catholic School directly.