Sport (Outdoor Education) Level 2 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like a career in the diverse sports and outdoors industry? Are you looking for an exciting and varied course?
This course develops your knowledge and skills in a range of outdoor sports, including rock climbing, hillwalking, gorge scrambling and canoeing. You don’t need to have previous experience of the outdoors, but must be willing to have a go at many sports in any weather.
Eryri / Snowdonia is one of the UK’s top areas for outdoor pursuits and adventure recreation. The course prepares you for employment in this fast growing sector, or in the broader sports industry. It also acts as a stepping stone onto more advanced study at Level 3, and is the equivalent of 4 GCSEs.
You will study topics such as land and water-based outdoor activities, Expeditions, Training for Personal Fitness, Practical Sports, Anatomy and Physiology as well as completing a Work Experience placement.
You will have an outdoor day every week and will be able to take part in a number of trips including an overnight expedition.
Depending on your progress through the year, there is also the opportunity to achieve the Duke of Edinburgh award at Bronze level.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Outdoor Activities
- Group work
- Classroom based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- A minimum of 2 GCSEs at grade C or above; or
- A relevant Level 1 qualification, such as Sport and Public Services Level 1 at Merit or Distinction grade.
- BTEC qualifications will be considered in the relevant field at Merit grade.
- You will be required to attend an interview and taster day to demonstrate your enthusiasm and discuss your career goals.
- You will need to have a standard level of literacy and numeracy.
- You must have no serious problems with heights and be able to swim.
- You must successfully pass the interview and taster day, showing commitment, enthusiasm and respect for the course.
- You must also provide a suitable academic reference.
- You must also provide a suitable DBS check for work experience, which costs about £44.
- A cost of £200 is necessary to subsidise outdoor activities. This will be required at the start of the course, but you may be eligible for financial aid from the college.
- All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
- Two units will be assessed by external exam.
Completion of this course will provide you with various options in employment and education.
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
Public Services Level 3, available at:
Sport (Outdoor Adventure) Level 3, available at:
Sport (Performance and Excellence) Level 3, available at:
Sport (Sport and Exercise Science) Level 3, available at:
Sport (Sports Coaching, Development and Fitness) Level 3, available at:
If you wish to move directly into employment, you will have a number of options in the public and private sectors. You could enter the leisure industry, the health and fitness industry, the armed forces or the emergency services. You could also try to pursue a career as a professional or semi-professional outdoor athlete.Career opportunities
- Exercise Physiologist
- Fitness Centre Manager
- Outdoor Activities Instructor
- Sports Coach
- Sports Development Officer
- Sports Equipment Development & Research
- Sports Therapist
- Sport & Exercise Psychologist
Depending on the campus, students may be able to access elements of the programme in both English and Welsh through some programme learning materials being made available bilingually. Details will be provided to you at interview.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.