Beauty Therapy (Science) BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Exeter College
This is a demanding course that covers the theory and practical aspects required to practise as a beauty therapist.
You will cover the following units:
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
- Client care and communication in beauty related industries
- Workplace practices and procedures in beauty related industries
- Promote and sell products and services to clients
- Provide facial skincare
- Apply make-up
- Provide eyelash and brow treatments
- Provide manicure treatments
- Remove hair using waxing techniques
- Provide body massage
- Provide facial electrotherapy treatments
- Provide body electrotherapy treatments
- Scientific principles for beauty therapy (includes physics, chemistry and anatomy)
- Dermatology and microbiology
- Provide spa treatments
- Aromatherapy massage for beauty therapy
- Indian head massage
- Hot stone therapy
You need five GCSEs at Grade C including English Language, Maths and Science at C or above.
A wide variety of teaching methods are used and you will be formally assessed on your practical skills in the training environment and on your written assignments; some units will be assessed via formal exams with Excel. Practical skills are developed on fellow students and on clients as the teaching syllabus permits.
You will need a personal kit and uniform. Students are responsible for providing their own working resources and sundries. Additional trips and workshops are also available as optional extras throughout the course where the course tutor feels these are beneficial to learning.
You may obtain employment in a beauty clinic, health hydro or cruise liner. You may choose to continue studying and undertake a university level programme such as a Foundation Degree in Spa Management / Beauty Therapy, Holistic/Complementary Therapy or Sports Therapy.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Exeter College directly.