Mathematics A Level at Brooke Weston Academy
The two year course provides students with a thorough grounding in pure mathematics, mechanics and statistics which would support university applications not only for maths related subjects but also for engineering, science, and business studies courses. Two pure modules (C1 and C2) and one statistics module (S1) are studied in Year 12. Two more pure modules (C3 and C4) and one mechanics module (M1) are studied in Year 13 to complete the A2 course.
- C1 Module: Polynomials and coordinate geometry.
- C2 Module: Differentiation and integration techniques, applying them to polynomials.
- S1 Module: The techniques of single variable statistics are studied, including calculations of averages and measures of spread. The Binomial Distribution is applied to the study of probability and hypothesis testing.
- C3 Module: Functions (coursework component equivalent to 20% of that module.)
- C4 Module: Trigonometric identities to solving problems and students also sit a comprehension paper.
- M1 Module: Newtonian mechanics is studied and applied to problems.
Students who have gained a grade A or A* in GCSE mathematics are ideally suited to the course. Students who have obtained a grade B in GCSE mathematics are advised to talk to their teachers and may be allowed to join the course on the decision of the HoD after students have sat an entrance exam but please be advised that a high level of algebra is much more paramount at this level.
Students of A Level mathematics go on to study a wide variety of subjects at degree level, ranging from law to engineering. It is recommended that students wishing to study sciences at university have at least an AS Level qualification in mathematics. The skills of logical thinking and an analytical approach to problem solving are sought after in most managerial posts. Careers in mathematics such as finance, science and engineering are open to students studying mathematics.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brooke Weston Academy directly.