*English A Level at President Kennedy School
A Level English Literature is a captivating and challenging course taught by a vibrant and experienced team of teachers. Our students achieve outstanding results and this enables them to progress to Higher Education as the course is highly regarded by universities nationally. Building on the skills acquired at GCSE, A Level Literature explores significant texts from crucial eras in literary history, including seminal works covering a range of poetry, prose and drama. There are numerous enrichment opportunities available.
This linear course will cover a range of poetry, prose and drama. There will be three external examinations, part of which will assess the skills of unseen textual analysis. One module will assess poetry both pre- and post-1900. The second will assess Shakespeare as well as drama from pre- and post-1900. The final examined unit will assess unseen poetry and prose. The combined total of these modules will contribute 80% of the overall marks. There will also be a prose-study coursework element, contributing the remaining 20% of the overall marks. Texts include Christina Rossetti Poetry, Frankenstein, The Handmaid’s Tale, A Streetcar Named Desire and other prose texts.
Standard minimum Level 3 entry requirement including B in GCSE English and English Literature and teacher approval.
• Component 1 – Poetry – 2 hour examination – 30%
• Component 2 – Drama – 2 hour examination – 30%
• Component 3 – Unseen Texts – 2 hour examination – 20%
• Component 4 – Prose study – 3000 word coursework essay – 20%
English Literature is a facilitating subject, meaning that it is highly valued by top universities. Popular careers include Law, marketing and teaching.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact President Kennedy School directly.