Horticulture Apprenticeship Level 2 at Warwickshire College Group
The 'Work Based Diploma in Horticulture' forms the main element of the Apprenticeship framework and is a Nationally Recognised Qualification. It is a work-related, competence based qualification and reflects the skills and knowledge needed to do a job effectively and shows that a learner is competent in the area of work that the qualification represents.
The course is aimed at Horticultural enthusiasts, ideally with some previous Horticulture work experience.
The Apprenticeship consists of:
1) Work Based Diploma this is the main part of the Apprenticeship and includes Mandatory and Optional Units. You and your Employer can choose which Optional Units you study according to which Pathway you choose (see below for the different Pathways)
2) Functional Skills students may be exempt from this if they have GCSEs in English and Maths minimum Grade D or above or equivalent qualification.
3) Competency Certificates or Technical Certificates are required in some Apprenticeships
4) Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
5) Employer Rights and Responsibilties
There are several different Pathways you can choose for this qualificaion (the Pathway will be chosen according to the area of Industry you are employed in). The Pathways are:
- Production Horticulture
- Sports Turf (Greenkeeper)
- Sports Turf (Groundsman)
- Parks, Gardens and Green Space
- Parks, Gardens and Green Space (Cemeteries)
Apprenticeships are available to all ages between 16 and 65 years old. Currently, the Government fully fund Apprenticeships for those between 16 and 18 years old. From 19+ the funding rules change and there may be a fee charged to the Employer.
Warwickshire College expect potential Apprentices to have gained at least a Grade D at GCSE (or equivalent) in English and Maths.
Potential Apprentices are expected to demonstrate that they are:
- prepared to attend off-the-job training
- able to acquire the broad range of skills, knowledge and understanding required in the Apprenticeship
- able to achieve the Level 2 Diploma in Work Based Horticulture
- Good practical skills
- Health & Safety awareness
- Ability to work without supervision
The Units of the Diploma will be assessed by the gathering of work based evidence into a portfolio provided to you by the College. Every Apprentice has an occupationally competent Assessor who will visit them in their work place to assess the Apprentice against the Units of their Diploma.
Apprentices also need to undertake an independent assessment in the form of a multiple choice test. This test covers the underpinning knowledge elements of the Units. The test is specific to the qualification route chosen and may be taken on demand.
Successful Apprentices can be considered for the Advanced Apprenticeship in Horticulture Level 3 or go onto Further/Higher education courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Warwickshire College Group directly.