Physics A level at East Norfolk Sixth Form College
Physics (Specification A) is about studying the fundamental nature of matter and energy. It helps us to understand how the whole Universe works, from the smallest particle to the largest galaxy.
This course will transform the way you look at science and nature and allow you to stretch your mind as you get to grips with awesome concepts underpinning topics such as cosmology, particle physics and quantum mechanics.
- Development of practical skills
- Foundations of physics – Quantities, units, measurements
- Forces and motion –kinematics, dynamics, work, energy power, materials
- Electrons, waves and photons – Electricity, waves, quantum physics
- Newtonian World – thermal, gases, fields & SHM
- Particles and medical physics – cosmology, capacitors, electric fields, electromagnetism, nuclear physics, medical physics.
Two B grades or better in GCSE Sciences; these can be Core and Additional or if triple science has been taken, then one of these must be in Physics. GCSE grade B or better in Maths (Higher) is also required.
Awarding Body - OCR
AS - x2 written papers in May of the first year both 1.5 hours.
A2 - x3 Theory Papers in June of the second year. 2 x 2.5 hours and 1 x 1.5 hours.
All students will be entered for the AS Level exam and only those with at least a D Grade will progress to the A-level.
A-level only Practical Endorsement – Pass or fail assessed in class throughout the two year course.
The course will prepare you to take physics or a related discipline to a higher level. A qualification in Physics will allow you to pursue a career in engineering, architecture, medicine/medical physics, electronics, geophysics, space and finance.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Norfolk Sixth Form College directly.