Food Technology A-Level at St Clement Danes School
- To develop students’ knowledge, understanding, skills and application for designing food products
- To develop a student’s ability to produce food products that are fit for purpose, satisfy wants or needs, and enhance our day-to-day lives
- Give students the opportunity to demonstrate their design and technology capability
- Develop skills in planning, research, analysis, product development, project planning and evaluation
This qualification focuses on key areas that the food industry has to consider, including:
- Quality of food
- Processing of food
- Packaging and labelling
- Nutritional value and contribution to dietary control and sustained good health
- Food science
- Food hygiene
Please note that there is a requirement to purchase ingredients for weekly practical lessons
Unit 1 - Coursework of Creative Skills
Students are given the opportunity to develop their creative, technical and practical skills through a series of product investigation, design and manufacturing activities.
Unit 2 - Design and Technology in Practice
Students will develop a knowledge and understanding of a wide range of materials, components, additives and processes used in the design and production of food products.
Unit 3 - Food Products, Nutrition and Product Development
Students develop knowledge on food commodities, aspects of nutrition, product development and food innovation. A sound knowledge of main food commodities, composition, processing, spoilage, nutrition, lifestyles, new products, consumer behaviour, demographics and sustainable issues are covered.
Unit 4 - Commercial Design
Students are given the opportunity to apply skills they have acquired to design and make a food product of their choice. Students must adopt a commercial design approach.
Attain at least a C grade in English Language/English Literature GCSE or Mathematics GCSE. Food Technology: B.
Unit 1 - Coursework of Creative Skills (60% of AS, 30% of A Level).
Unit 2 - Design and Technology in Practice (40% of AS, 20% of A Level).
Unit 3 - Food Products, Nutrition and Product Development (40% of A level, 20% of total GCE).
Unit 4 - Commercial Design (60% of A level, 30% of total GCE).
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Clement Danes School directly.