Art and Design BTEC Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3 at City of Wolverhampton College
During this course you will study:
- Visual recording
- Materials, techniques and processes
- Ideas and concepts in art and design
- Visual communication
- Design methods
- 3D design
- Drawing from observation
- Contextual influences in art and design
- Application, exploration and realisation
- Professional practice
- Personal and professional development
- Graphic image making
- Narrative image making
Art and Design covers many exciting and innovative areas of the creative industries. This focused and intensive course is for those with a real enthusiasm and creativity and will prepare you for your future as one of the next generation of artists and designers.
You will begin your first year of study on the Level 3 90 Credit Diploma and then once successfully completed you will progress to your second year on the Level 3 Extended Diploma, which is equivalent to three A Levels. This is a practical, work-related course and you will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. As well as learning about the employment area you have chosen, you develop the skills you need to start your career.
This course will give you experience in different art and design disciplines, including 3D Design, visual studies, textiles, illustration, photography, print making and graphic design. Each term you will work on a number of assignments and exhibit your practical work around the college with an end of year final exhibition in the city centre. You will take part in practical workshops, lectures, debates, gallery visits and independent research. You will learn new skills and develop experience in a number of specialist techniques and approaches from experienced and dedicated tutors together with a range of guest speakers. We will develop your creative potential while improving your understanding of visual communication.
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C or above including English or maths (specified which for some courses), or successful completion of a full level 2 study programme
- You will be asked to come for an interview and be expected to demonstrate your interest, enthusiasm and commitment to undertaking an art and design course at this level by presenting a selection of recent art and design work
The course is project/assignment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work and through observations. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of pass, merit or distinction. Some units may be subject to external assessment.
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career as a graphic designer, illustrator, architect, fine artist, interior designer, product designer, fashion designer and stylist, photographer, sculptor, concept artist
- Progress on to our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, our HND in Graphic Design, a university degree or employment.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.