Bricklaying Group A Diploma Level 2 at Eastleigh College
This course is suitable for individuals wishing to increase their skills and knowledge of brickwork and is an ideal progression route from the Level 1 Bricklaying course.
The course develops craft skills and the underpinning knowledge to work at recgonised industrial standards within the bricklaying trade.
The theory content of the qualification, together with knowledge of the construction industry, will be covered in formal classroom sessions.
Bricklaying is a highly recognised construction profession and there is a high demand for bricklayers with a significan incrase in housing requirements for the South East region. Work can be as diverse as working on architectural features, through to constructing housing estates, office blocks or factories.
You will have the opportunity to study the following subjects:
- Building brick and block walling
- Setting out masonry structures
- Efficient working practices
- Store materials and equipment
- Health and safety
You will be expected to be in college for approximately 16 hours per week. Students are given a timetabled scheme of work to guide practical and theory progress.
- For Level 2 entry, 4 GCSEs at grade A*-D including English, Maths and a Science or IT subject are required.
- A good achievement and attendance report from school, a successful interview in College and a short Maths test are also required.
- Students with no prior building experience may be required to attend a taster session to demonstrate aptitude and commitment.
You will be assessed continually through the completion of practical tasks, projects and workbooks. Assessment will be on an individual basis and there is a final multiple choice paper.
You will need to purchase steel toe-capped shoes and overalls for this programme.
Bricklayers can command good wages, and the trade offers a good grounding for progression into technical and supervisory roles, including starting up your own business.
On successful completion of this programme, you may wish to consider Level 3 Bricklaying at Eastleigh College or alternatively.
Once you are in employment or an Apprenticeship, you can study part-time for the NVQ in Brickwork, using your employment as work experience.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.