Food Technology at John Kyrle High School & Sixth Form Centre
What’s it all about?
Food Technology looks at the method of designing a product and the technology that is involved through the medium of food. It also takes into account the relationship between design, materials manufacturing and the marketing of food products. Another aspect of the subject is to understand the nutritional aspects of food and the implications that this has.
What topics are covered for AS?
This is taught in 3 areas:
* Materials and components – nutrition and the functional properties of food components
* Design and Market influences – develop an understanding of broader issues considered when designing such as environmental and health
* Processes and manufacture – develop an understanding of food safety and hygiene There is 1 exam and 1 piece of coursework to be completed in AS level.
What topics are covered at A2?
* The subject is taught through the same 3 areas but more emphasis is given to Food Science and Food Chemistry, e.g. structures of lipids, amino acids and carbohydrates.
* We look at new product development and the manufacturing processes, Food Microbiology and how it is used in the development of food products and the negative effect it can have on food is also studied. There is one exam and one piece of coursework
A GCSE in any DT subject, an interest in food and a willingness to participate in practical food preparation.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Kyrle High School & Sixth Form Centre directly.