Painting and Decorating Level 1 Diploma at Exeter College
This entry level, practical course will provide you with the theory and skills to achieve an industry
- Learn how to work safely, including erecting and dismantling working platforms
- Work mainly in our well equipped, modern workshops and resource centre
- Prepare surfaces for decoration
- Paint with brushes and rollers, apply foundation and plain papers and produce specialist, decorative finishes
- Hear from guest speakers and go on site visits
- Undertake practical training exercises
- apply basic paint systems by brush and roller
- apply foundation and plain papers
- erect and dismantle access equipment and working platforms
- health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- knowledge of construction technology
- knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication with others
- prepare common surface types for decoration
- produce standard decorative finishes
You need four GCSEs at grade E or above (including English and maths). If you do not have these grades you may still be able to study this course subject to an interview with a course specialist. You will be required to demonstrate that you are enthusiastic and committed to succeeding.
Assessment is by written and practical tests and a portfolio of evidence.
You will need to be equipped with basic stationery for all your sessions. You will need to have your own overalls and safety boots - advice will be given at interview. If you are required to purchase a subject specific course book you will be advised either at interview or at the start of the course. There is a non-refundable Workshop Fee of £45 per full time student per year. This will contribute towards the cost of tools for use in the workshop so that you do not need to provide your own. It will also cover the cost of one Hi-Viz jacket, one pair of safety glasses, one pair of gloves and the exam fee for one CSCS test.
You could progress onto the Level 2 Diploma in Painting and Decorating (depending on previous performance at Level 1), or explore the possibility of undertaking an Apprenticeship where you will attend the college on a day or block release basis.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Exeter College directly.