Resistant Materials A-Level *Fees payable* at Brentwood School
This is one of two Product Design A Level courses offered by the Design & Technology Department. Resistant Materials involves students in the design of engineered products using wood, metal and plastic to create working solutions to real-world problems.
This course will involve students in practical work, in the workshop, designing and making products using a range of materials and equipment. Students will develop their skills using Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM). Theory work relating to commercial design will lead to a written examination testing students' subject knowledge and design skills.
This is a ‘hands-on’ course, which is suitable for imaginative students who wish to develop their skills as product designers.
The Edexcel GCE in Design and Technology has been designed to provide opportunities for students to develop their creativity, capability and entrepreneurial skills; to apply knowledge and understanding to a range of technological activities and to develop critical thinking and collaborative skills.
In particular, the aims of the GCE qualifications in Design and Technology allow students to:
- Develop and sustain innovation, creativity and design and technology capability, to recognise constraints and to produce high quality products;
- Develop critical understanding of the influences of the processes and products of design and technological activity from a historical perspective and in current practice;
- Apply essential knowledge, understanding and skills of design production processes to a range of technological activities and develop an understanding of industrial practices;
- Use information and communications technology (ICT) to enhance their design and technological capability;
- Recognise the social, moral, spiritual and cultural values inherent in design and technological activity, and develop critical evaluation skills in technical, aesthetic, ethical, economic, environmental, social and cultural contexts;
- Develop as discerning consumers able to make informed choices;
- Develop positive attitudes of co-operation and citizenship and work collaboratively.
- Two units at AS. One portfolio internally marked and one examination externally marked.
- Four units at Advanced GCE. One portfolio and one project internally marked and two examinations externally marked.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brentwood School directly.