Sport and Physical Education A Level at Bridgwater College
The A Level in Sport & Physical Education is particularly suitable for students who wish to progress to onto Higher Education and study subject areas such as; coach education, sport science, health and fitness and teaching Physical Education. It is also suited to students who wish to work in the sports or health and fitness professions. It can also be valuable for those students interested sport and wish to study the world of health and fitness and the impact of physical education on the world around them at an advanced level.
A-level Physical Education builds on students' experience from Key Stage 4 and GCSE to enhance their knowledge and increase their understanding of the factors that affect performance and participation in Physical Education.
This specification gives students the opportunity to experience and develop an interest in a variety of roles in sport, such as performer, official or coach.
- Contemporary topics in sport, such as the impact in the use of ergogenic aids, technology and the increasing commercialisation of sport
- Applying sports physiology
- Nutrition in sport
- Skill acquisition
- Psychological aspects that optimise sports performance
- Participation in sport and analysing sports performance
- Five GCSEs in the A* – C range, including Maths and English at grade C or above.
- Sport & Physical Education GCSE grade C or above, or BTEC Sport Award, Certificate or Diploma at a Merit profile or above.
- Be able to perform and/or officiate/coach successfully in two sports.
- Written examination
- Practical assessment
- Written coursework
The majority of the Sport & Physical education students progress to sport science, coaching or physical education courses. In the past students leaving this course have, for example, taken degrees in Medicine, Veterinary Science, Marine Biology and biochemistry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.