English Language A Level at West Lakes Academy
What will you study?
- Textual variations and Representation - (how are people, events and ideas represented?) and methods of language analysis.
- Language Diversity - how does language vary depending on your gender, occupation, social class, region or age?
- Language Change - how has language changed? How is still changing? What are people’s attitudes towards change?
- Child Language Acquisition - how do children acquire language?
At least 5 GCSEs grades 9-5/A*-C including English and maths. Minimum of a grade ‘5’ for GCSE English Language
This is a two year A Level only course A- Level
- Paper 1 - Language, the Individual and Society Written exam 2 hours 30 minutes (40% of A Level)
- Paper 2 - Language Diversity and Change Written exam 2 hours 30 minutes (40% of A Level)
- Non-Exam Assessed Component - Language in Action 3,500 words (20% of A Level)
A Level English Language is highly regarded by universities and is a sought after qualification for a wide range of degree courses, including the sciences.
Traditional links with journalism, writing, editing and law are easily established as part of an English degree. The course develops a high level of communication skills, which are desirable in all walks of life.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lakes Academy directly.