Exercise & Fitness (Instructing Exercise & Fitness Apprenticeship Intermediate at East Berkshire College
The Intermediate Level Apprenticeship in Exercise and Fitness is designed for those individuals who are either already employed in the fitness industry or are looking to enter the industry and further develop their knowledge and skills to further their careers in the sector.
The aim of this framework is to supply a highly skilled and vocationally competent workforce for the Health and Fitness sector to provide quality service.
All Apprenticeships consist of a Framework of different elements. They must include qualifications that, when achieved, prove the Apprentice's competence in carrying out work of the Level and type identified in the Framework.
Also included must be qualifications which demonstrate the technical knowledge of the job and industry, plus more wide ranging general skills required to operate successfully in the trade; these will include Maths, English and, if appropriate, ICT and Employer Rights and Responsibilities.
The different elements can be combined in one qualification, or be covered in separate qualifications, but all elements must be achieved to obtain a full Apprentice Certificate.
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Work with clients to help them to adhere to exercise and physical activity
- Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation
- Reflect on and develop own practice in providing exercise and physical activity
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Plan and prepare gym-based exercise
- Instruct and supervise gym-based exercise
- Plan and prepare group exercise to music
- Instruct group exercise to music
- Plan and prepare water-based exercise
- Instruct water-based exercise
- Plan and prepare health related exercise and physical activity for children
- Instruct health related exercise and physical activity to children
Different Apprenticeships have different entry requirements. However the most important requirements are:
- In contracted employment and have been for at least three months
- Hold GCSEs or equivalent qualifications in English and Maths
- Display a positive attitude and passion for improving the customer service in your job role
You will be assessed within the college as well in the workplace to ensure all the competencies are met.
Regular review meetings will take place with your assessor and employer to support the achievement of the qualification.
Fitness Instructor / Gym Instructor:
- Reception duties, maintenance, session plans and session delivery for members, membership sales
- Prepare for, deliver and evaluate exercise sessions
- e.g.: Aerobics; Step Aerobics; Circuit Training; Aqua aerobics
Working with children
- Prepare for, deliver and evaluate exercise sessions with a variety of apparently healthy people
Leisure Centre Assistant
- Reception, maintenance
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Berkshire College directly.