Biology A Level at St Mary's Menston, a Catholic voluntary academy
Biology is relevant, cutting edge and exciting. It is suitable for anyone who has a passion for life and living organisms and how they inter-relate. It covers topics such as microbiology, genetics, physiology, biotechnology and ecology and biochemistry. The course will appeal to anyone who has an interest in and passion for Biology and wishes to pursue a career in aspects of Biology (please note that Chemistry is also needed for many Biology related degrees) or health related field, e.g. Doctor, Dentist, Vet, Physiotherapist, Nursing, Marine biologist, Radiographer, Teacher, Environmental scientist, Sports scientist, Biochemist, Biomedical Scientist, Neuroscientist etc.
- Changing from modular to linear assessment, with all exams at the end of the course.
- The AS becomes a stand-alone qualification, which doesn’t contribute to the A-level grade.
- 10% of the total A-level marks require the use of at least Level 2 (Higher tier GCSE) mathematical skills.
- There will be no internal assessment that leads to marks that contribute towards the AS or A-level grades. In other words, no coursework or controlled assessment.
- Practical work will be assessed in the written papers. 15% of the total A-level marks will be for practical knowledge and understanding.
- A separate ‘endorsement’ of practical work will be assessed by teachers. This will not be graded. If students pass, it will be reported on their certificate, otherwise it will not be reported.
AS and first year of A-level
1. Biological molecules
3. Organisms exchange substances with their environment
4. Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
Second year of A-level
5. Energy transfers in and between organisms
6. Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
7. Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
8. The control of gene expression
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.