Teamwork and Leadership in the Community BTEC Level 2 Certificate at Brockenhurst College
This course will provide an opportunity for students with an interest in the uniformed services to gain a qualification that allows them to either make an informed Public Service career decision or to continue on to the next level of education.
The syllabus requires up to 8 units to be completed over 1 year.
Topics will include the following:
- The Role and Work of the Public Services
- Working Skills in the Public Service Sector
- Citizenship, Society and the Public Services
- Crime and its Effects on Society and Individuals
- Employment in the Public Services
- Health, Fitness and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- Adventurous Activities in the Public Services
- Land Navigation by Map and Compass
4 GCSEs grade D, including English and Maths at grade E
BTEC Foundation Certificate in Public Services (Merit profile)
Foundation level course (Merit profile)
Compulsory Qualifications Work Skills, GCSE English, GCSE Maths
14 hours of Public Services Lectures and practical activities
3 hours each of English and Maths GCSE
Continued assessment through assignments both written and practical. Two units are externally assessed. Students are given plenty of help and direction from staff and are encouraged to undertake their own research and additional reading.
- Public Service clothing and sleeping bag (Sept) - £50
- Brown Army Cadet Force boots (Sept) - various costs
- Expeditions and Outdoor Activities - £100 over the year
- Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force)
- Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance)
- BTEC National Diploma in Public Services
- Various level 3 courses
Personal development is an important aspect of the course. A student must be prepared to improve in areas such as fitness, teamwork skills and confidence.
To enhance the course studies, every Public Service student will become a member of the course Army Cadet Force for which uniform is supplied. The Army Cadet Force syllabus provides opportunities in leadership, outdoor activities, drill, fitness and field craft as well as direct interaction with the Uniformed Public Services.
Students have an opportunity to join the College Student Watch project sponsored by Hampshire Constabulary.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brockenhurst College directly.