Groundwork Apprenticeship Level 2 at West Lancashire College
This course is for school leavers and adults who are working within the construction industry as a groundworker.
Successful students tend to:
- have practical skills and good hand skills
- be able to follow technical drawings, building plans, and other instructions
- be fit and strong enough to carry tools and materials
- have good communication skills
- be able to work quickly and neatly
- enjoy working with others
All students will study the following:
You will study a Level 2 Diploma in General Construction Operations - Groundwork, NVQ Level 2 Diploma in General Construction Operations - Groundwork, Employers Rights and Responsibilities and Functional skills English and Maths at level 1 or 2
All students must purchase the relevant kit prior to starting the course. Costs will be discussed at the enrolment and during the college induction.
Hi – vis vest will be supplied by the college
Hi – vis vest and ID badges must be worn at all times
Level 2 NVQ in General Construction Operations
- Conforming to General Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace
- Conforming to Productive Working Practices in the Workplace
- Establishing Work Area Protection and Safety in the Workplace
- Installing Drainage in the Workplace
- Moving, Handling and Storing Resources in the Workplace
- Placing and Finishing Non-Specialist Concrete in the Workplace
- Slinging and hand signalling the movement of suspended loads in the workplace
- Placing and Compacting Concrete in the Workplace
- Preparing and Mixing Concrete Motars in the Workplace
- Reinstating Ground Condition in the Workplace
Level 2 Diploma in General Construction Operations
All Mandatory Units
- Establish work area protection and safety - general construction
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Lay domestic drainage
- Place and finish non-specialist concrete
- Understanding civil engineering technology
- Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
• Level 1 or 2 Mathematics
• Level 1 or 2 Communication
Candidates must be working for a minimum of 16 hours per week in the industry, have the support of the employer and be capable of achieving Functional Skills at the required level.
West Lancashire College will also accept credits previously gained through the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).
All successful candidates will be interviewed/assessed and selected for the course.
- Assessment is via multiple choice examination and practical tests
- Awarding body phase test
- Portfolio of knowledge
- Onsite assessment
- Work based recorder
To continue gaining skills and industry specific qualifications.
Option to further a career in the Groundworks industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.