BTEC 1st Award Applied Science Level 2 at Cromwell Community College
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award:
● is a level 2 qualification; however, it is graded at Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction, Level 2 Distinction*, Level 1 and Unclassified
● is for learners aged 14 years and over
● is a 120 guided-learning-hour qualification (equivalent in teaching time to one GCSE)
● has 25 per cent of the qualification that is externally assessed. Edexcel sets and marks these assessments
● will be available on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF)
● presents knowledge in a work-related context
● gives learners the opportunity to develop and apply skills in English and mathematics in naturally occurring, work-related contexts
● provides opportunities for synoptic assessment.
Applied Science adopts a different structure from other qualifications in the suite, to reflect the unique nature of science learning. To ensure sufficient breadth and depth, instead of a single Award, Applied Science has two Awards. This specification is for the Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Principles of Applied Science. There is an additional specification for the Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Applications of Science.
The Principles of Applied Science Award delivers the Key Stage 4 Programme of Study for science by covering the key scientific principles vital for both scientists and citizens of the future. It develops and exemplifies these principles in applied and vocational contexts, leading to an understanding of how the principles are applied in practice. As a result, the external assessment is based on key principles of science from the Programme of Study for Science that underpin further learning.
This qualification builds on a foundation of the Key Stage 3 science Programme of Study. Learners should progress from this qualification to the Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Application of Science. Learners can then progress to the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Applied Science, including the Forensic Science and Medical Science endorsed pathways. Learners can also progress to a range of BTEC Level 2 National qualifications in related areas such as Beauty Therapy Science, Health and Social Care, Sport and Exercise Science, Engineering, Construction, Land-based, Pharmacy Services or Dental Technology.
Alternatively, they can progress to NVQs such as the Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities or Laboratory Science. The underpinning knowledge, practical and vocational scientific skills learnt on the BTEC course will enhance and support the progression to a competency-based course.
For learners who wish to progress to GCEs in science it is recommended that they also take further units from the larger-sized BTEC First qualifications and are provided with support on GCE assessment methods.
Please speak to Miss L Craske or Ms G Hensby at Cromwell, or visit:
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.