Science BTEC Level 3 at Wednesfield High Specialist Engineering Academy
The Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science is designed for students who do not necessarily meet the requirements for A Levels but still wanted to study Science further and/or pursue a career in the applied science sector.
Studying this qualification will enable learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of scientific principles, as well as those scientific practical skills recognised by higher education institutions and employers to be most important.
The qualification also offers learners an opportunity to develop transferable skills such as problem solving, research and communication as part of their applied learning.
- Unit 1: Key Concepts in Science (Written exam) Biology, chemistry and physic topics including cell structure, homeostasis, atoms, the Periodic Table, energy and electricity. Synoptic with Units 2, 4 and 6
- Unit 2: Applied Experimental Techniques (Portfolio) Practical investigations linked to Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Synoptic with Units 1, 4, 5 and 6
- Unit 3: Science in the Modern World (Written exam with pre-release material) Topical scientific issues, public perception, scientific advances and the responsibilities of the science industry. Synoptic with Units 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6
- Unit 4: The Human Body (Written Exam) Includes nervous system, respiratory system and digestive system. Synoptic with Units 1, 2, 3
- Unit 5: Investigating Science (Portfolio) Undertake the role of a research scientist. Synoptic with Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 6
- Unit 6a – Microbiology (Portfolio) Learn microbiological concepts and techniques used when working in biotechnological industries. Synoptic with Units 1 & 2
The entry requirements are two C’s in Science, C in Maths and a C in English.
All units are equally weighted.
- Unit 1: 1 hour 30 minutes written examination.
- Unit 2: Portfolio of Practical Assignments
- Unit 3: 1 hour 30 minutes written examination
All units are equally weighted.
- Unit 4: 2 hour 30 minutes written examination
- Unit 5: Portfolio of Practical Assignments
- Unit 6a: Portfolio of Practical Assignments
This qualification is supported by a range of universities, and taken alongside other qualifications it can fulfil the entry requirements for a number of sciencerelated higher education courses, including biomedical, forensic and sports science, as well as nursing. In addition, the qualification is eligible for UCAS points.
The qualification is supported by the following higher education institutions:
- Aberystwyth University
- Birmingham City University
- University of Bolton
- Edge Hill University
- Staffordshire University
- University of South Wales
- Southampton University
- University of Sunderland
- Teesside University
- University of Wolverhampton
- York St John University
The qualification has also been supported by:
- WiSET (Women in Science, Engineering and Technology)
- University of York Science Education Group
- The Association for Science Education
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wednesfield High Specialist Engineering Academy directly.