General Studies A Level at Farlingaye High School
This course provides opportunities for students to broaden their understanding of a range of themes including cultural life, ethics and morality, politics and science in society.
It will draw heavily on students’ knowledge gained in their other subjects and respond to contemporary and topical issues.
Unit 1 Culture and Society:
- The changing nature and importance of culture
- creativity & innovation
- aesthetic evaluation
- beliefs, values & moral reasoning
- religious belief & experience
- media & communication
- political processes & goals
- law, society & ethics.
Unit 2 Science and Society:
- Characteristics of the sciences
- social & economic trends and constraints
- scientific methods & principles
- scientific objectivity & progress
- mathematical reasoning
- moral responsibility of scientists
- technology, science & society.
Unit 3 Culture and Society
Unit 4 Science and Society
- Units 3 and 4 echo the AS units, but require more depth and critical analysis.
All Year 12 A-level students will take AS General Studies.
The course is designed so that students are able to use their own subject strengths to succeed.
- An examination paper for each unit, lasting 90 minutes at AS and two hours at A2.
- Each unit is worth 25% of the whole A Level.
General Studies shows a breadth and diversity of learning which appeals to universities and employers alike.
Despite what is often believed, most universities accept it as part of a conditional offer and all of them value the skills that it develops.
The subject extends in a natural way intomany different university courses and careers. It also develops analytical skills which can be applied to a wide range of further study subjects.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Farlingaye High School directly.