Biology AS and A Level at Emmanuel College
1. Biological molecules: carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids and water
2. Cells: Eukaryotes, prokaryotes, cell division, cell recognition
3. Organisms exchange substances with their environment: gas exchange, digestion, mass transport in plants and animals
4. Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms: Genes and chromosomes, protein synthesis, genetic diversity, species and taxonomy
5. Energy transfers in and between organisms (A-level only): photosynthesis, respiration, energy and ecosystems, nutrient cycles
6. Organisms respond to change in their environments (A-Level only): Survival and response, receptors, control of heart rate, nervous coordination, skeletal muscles, homeostasis, control of blood glucose and water potential
7. Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems (A-Level only): inheritance, populations, speciation
8. The control of gene expression (A-level only): gene mutations, gene expression, cancer, genome projects, recombinant DNA technology, genetic finger printing
Students should achieve a high B grade (separate award) or a strong A grade (dual award) and at least a B grade in both English and Mathematics. In addition students must have a subject teacher recommendation.
Two written papers based on the content of sections 1-4 and practical skills
Paper1 50% 90min 75marks
Paper2 50% 90min 75marks
Completion of 6 required practical activities
A Level Course
Three written papers based on the content of sections 1-8 and practical skills
Paper1 35% 120min 91marks any content from topics 1-4
Paper2 35% 120min 91marks any content from topics 5-8
Paper3 30% 120min 78marks any content from topics 1-8
Completion of 12 required practical activities
Biology is classed as a facilitating subject for university entry and as such opens up a huge range of possible degree choices for further study.
Twenty-five courses at university require at least an AS Biology qualification as an entry requirement. Careers in life sciences include medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, pharmacy, pharmacology, dietetics, biochemistry, biomedical material science, immunology, virology, biotechnology, genetics, ecology, psychology and many more!
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Emmanuel College directly.