Fitness and Exercise Level 1 at Isle of Wight College
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 1
This qualification introduces learners to the sport and active leisure sector, catering for differences in ability by allowing them to select some units at Entry Level as well as Level 1. Learners will find out about their own fitness and how the body works through participation in a variety of fitness activities by planning and using their own fitness programme. They will also learn about rights and responsibilities at work, together with health and safety. Learners will have the chance to explore job opportunities in sport and active leisure and to choose units relating to taking part in sport, assisting an activity leader and preparing for a work placement.
This qualification will enable learners to make informed choices about progression onto higher level qualifications and/or employment in the sector.
Learners will cover:
Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- functions of the skeletal, muscular and cardio-respiratory systems
- requirements of a healthy diet
- different exercise and fitness activities and facilities
- the workplace: risks and hazards, employee rights and responsibilities
- assisting a leader with active leisure activity
Progression to Level 2 requires successful completion of this programme including functional skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Wight College directly.