IT (Games Development) Level 3 BTEC 90 Credit Diploma at Hertford Regional College
This is an exciting and innovative course which will develop a range of modern computing skills. These include programming, graphic and design skills. This qualification is qualification is equivalent to 1.5 'A' Levels.
The course runs for one year initially, successessful completion leads to the Extended Diploma in IT for a second year which is equivalent to three 'A' Levels. It is primarily aimed at those who want to go to University and eventually enter a career in games design, games programming or the electronic arts (e.g. computer animation, video production, computer sound production). It is a demanding course which will require some aptitude for computer programming and creative visual design
The anticipated units you will do over the year are:
- Communications and Employment, Information Systems (how organisations use IT)
- Computer Systems (hardware and software), Software Design and Development
- Event Driven Programming, Object Oriented Programming
- Developing Computer Games, Computer Games Story Development
- Mathematics for IT Practitioners, Understanding the Computer Games Industry
- Digital Graphics, 3D Modelling
- Computer Animation, Flash for Computer Games
- Computer Games Platforms, Computer Games Engines
- Web Animation for Interactive Media, Computer Games Design
There will also be one-to-one tutorials. Please note that this course is essentially practical but there will be a considerable amount of written work. This will show that you can describe and evaluate the work you have done on computer.
You need to show an aptitude for programming logic and have achieved one of the following:
- 200 GCSE entry points with English and maths at Grade C or above
- A Merit BTEC Level 2 Diploma with English and maths at Grade C or above
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma with Functional Skills in English and maths Level 2
- You will need to demonstrate a keen interest in the computer industry and be well motivated and enthusiastic.
All units are assessed by assignments set by the College. These are graded according to exam board criteria and are verified by the Exam Board.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2016. If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2016, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last three years, and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). However, fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). You will be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee, materials fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable. For these costs please contact our Information Centre.
Progress on to University with an overall Merit or distinction. Your degree does not have to be in IT. The qualification allows you to study any subject.
Enter employment as a trainee analyst or programmer.
Various trips will be organised throughout the year. These will be trips to exhibitions, companies, amusement parks etc. You may have the opportunity to attend work placement for one week.
One week's work experience is an integral element of the programme and all learners are required to find a suitable placement.
What will I need?
A memory stick, costs for the extended trips and a positive attitude to studying.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hertford Regional College directly.