Biology AS/A-Level at Rickmansworth School
The aims and objectives of the Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Biology A (Salters-Nuffield) are to enable students to develop:
- essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of the subject and how they relate to each other
- demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem-solving skills
- the interest in and enthusiasm for the subject, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- understanding of how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
AS LEVEL - comprised of two exams testing knowledge of Lifestyle, Health and Risk, Genes and Health, Voice of the Genome and Biodiversity and Natural Resources.
A LEVEL - three exams testing knowledge on The Natural Environment, Species Survival and Energy, Exercise and Coordination and General and Practical Applications in Biology.
B Grade in Additional Science; B Grade in Maths.
- COMPONENT 1 1.5 hr exam 80 marks
- COMPONENT 2 1.5 hr exam 80 marks
- COMPONENT 1 2 hr exam 100 marks 1/3 of A Level mark
- COMPONENT 2 2 hr exam 100 marks 1/3 of A Level mark
- COMPONENT 3 2 hr exam 100 marks 1/3 of A Level mark
Many of our students pursue their interest in Biology after leaving school. Recent Biology students have gone on to study Medicine, Physiotherapy, Nursing or Biological Sciences. It is also a useful subject for students wanting to become teachers (as Science is a Core subject in schools) or for Arts students to show they are capable of studying Sciences as well.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Rickmansworth School directly.