Gas (Gas-fired Wet Central Heating) Advanced Apprenticeship - Day Release at Eastleigh College
The Advanced Apprenticeship in Gas (Gas-fired Wet Central Heating) covers gas utilisation in relation to gas water heating and central heating appliances and also covers the skills and competencies required to install a range of plumbing and heating systems and appliances.
You will achieve a Level 3 Diploma in Gas Utilisation Installation and Maintenance: Water Heating and Wet Central Heating. Unless exempt on entry, you will also achieve Level 2 Functional Skills qualifications in English, Maths and ICT.
Completion of the Level 3 Diploma will provide evidence of competence to the Gas Safe Register in the following competence categories: CCN 1, CENWAT1, CPA 1, MET and CoNGLP 1PD.
You will learn through a combination of on- and off-the-job training. You will attend college one day per week during term time and spend the rest of your time earning and learning in the workplace. You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of knowledge and practical assessment activities, including assessment of activities in the workplace.
The Apprenticeship includes units relating to
- scientific principles in gas utilisation
- building services and structures
- energy efficiency
- plumbing, science and processes
- health and safety
- gas safety
- combustion and properties of gas
- installation, commissioning and de-commissioning of gas pipework up to 35mm in domestic and small commercial premises
- installation and maintenance of domestic gas water heating and wet central heating appliances
- electrical work on domestic plumbing and heating systems and hot water, cold water and central heating system installation.
- Entry is subject to interview and assessment.
- You will need to have relevant employment with a Gas Safe Registered employer.
In addition, you will need to have
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or higher, including English and maths
- or have achieved a relevant Level 2 vocational qualification and be able to demonstrate ability equivalent to, or exceeding Level 2 in English and maths.
You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of knowledge and practical assessment activities, including assessment of activities in the workplace.
Your progress will be continuously monitored and supported by an Apprenticeship Achievement Officer.
Advanced level apprentices, with support and opportunities in the workplace, can progress onto further gas training in relation to additional Gas Safe Register competence categories, or onto a relevant Level 4/5 qualification, or onto a Foundation degree in an engineering discipline.
With additional training, advanced level apprentices may also be able to progress in their careers to roles such as Technician, System Designer, Estimator or Project/Contracts Manager
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.