Drama and Theatre Studies A Level at Woolwich Polytechnic School for Boys
We focus on developing students as independent learners.
The AS in Drama and Theatre Studies focuses on working with playtext and scripts as a performer as well as a director and set designer .
A2 provides an opportunity to study themes from the point of view of a director, designer, performer and critic.
The qualification is designed to enable students to acquire a knowledge and understanding of the language of drama and theatre as well as to develop their performing and analytical skills.
- Unit 1— This unit allows students to practically demonstrate how style, form and structure as well as characterisation can be demonstrated in a performance.
Text in Performance
- Unit 2— This unit offers Students the chance to demonstrate their knowledge of specialist terminology from the viewpoint of an actor, designer and director in a written context.
Performance on a set theme
- Unit 3 — The connections between theory and practice demonstrated through a range of forms, genres and performance styles.
Text in Context
- Unit 4 — A chance for students to analyse performance and production elements through a directorial overview from which they will form their own supported evaluations, with relevant research.
Grades B and above in English and preferably a C or above in Drama
- Unit 1 - Scripted and devised performance from a text (40% of AS and 20% of GCE mark)
- Unit 2 - Externally marked 2 hour written exam (60% of AS and 30% of GCE mark)
- Unit 3 - Scripted and devised performance from a theme. (60% of A2 grade and 30% of GCE mark)
- Unit 4 - Externally assessed unit takes the form of a 2-hour-and-30-minute written paper. (40% of A2 grade and 20% of GCE mark)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Woolwich Polytechnic School for Boys directly.