A Level Government and Politics at The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls
This course will off you:
· A development of skills in communication and critical thinking which will be relevant to all degree courses, including Law, Politics and History, and international relations.
· A better understanding of our political system and of the international political scene which will help me to make more sense of the world, now and in the future, whatever my future studies or career.
Unit 1 - People and Politics (25%)
- The role of the people in making political decisions.
- Voting, parties, political ideas, pressure groups in Britain.
Unit 2 - Governing the UK (25%)
- Who has power in the UK?
- The role of Parliament, Prime Minister, Government and the Judiciary, and rights and responsibilities.
Unit 3D – Structures of Global Politics (25%)
- Global power structures, globalisation and transnational corporations, and the changing world since 1989.
- Institutions such as NATO, the IMF, WTO, G8, EU and the World Bank, and how they affect global governance.
Unit 4D – Global Political Ideas (25%)
- Conflict, war and terrorism, including 9/11, the war on terror and other global conflicts.
- Global poverty, the global environmental crisis, and human rights and international law in different cultures.
you must achieve a B grade in GCSE English or History to take Government and Politics.
Studying Government and Politics will provide you with the knowledge and skills to enter a wide variety of career opportunities, such as:
· Politics; Law; Journalism; International Relations; Business; History; Management; Creative Writing; International Diplomacy; Public Relations; Media; Researching; and many more.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls directly.