Design Technology: Resistant Materials Technology A-Level at The Warren School
Design & Technology is fundamental to how we live our lives. They involve practical activities supported by academic knowledge, creative drive and manual skill to make an impact on the wider world and meet human needs. Students learn to use current technologies and consider the impact of future technological developments. They learn to think creatively and intervene to improve the quality of life, solving problems as individuals and members of a team. Students respond with ideas, products and systems, challenging expectations where appropriate. They combine practical and intellectual skills with an understanding of aesthetic, technical, cultural, health, social, emotional, economic, industrial and environmental issues. Through Design & Technology and Engineering students develop confidence in using practical skills, to manage their time and become discriminating users of products. They apply their creative thinking and learn to innovate through using skills that are transferable to many other contexts.
The course comprises of 4 units; 2 theory based, 2 coursework based. Theory work covers a range of topics including sustainability, design movements, materials, manufacturing processes, product investigation, design development and commercial considerations. The coursework tasks involve the design, manufacture and evaluation of a product. A range of short projects are produced which allow students to develop their designing and making skills. They also provide the opportunity for discussion on theoretical concepts which students need to understand. These are complimented by a range of investigative assignments allow students to develop their research skills. The coursework tasks allow students to demonstrate their designing, prototyping and making skills. Use of our outstanding facilities allows students to manufacture their product to very high standards.
The course is particularly suited to students who have successfully completed a DT or Engineering subject during KS4. However, we have had many students who have achieved excellent grades in ‘A’ level Resistant Materials having not studied DT previously. Students who have an aptitude, good work ethic, and willingness to learn are successful even without previous experience. Students will need to have gained at least a GCSE grade ‘C’ in Maths and English.
The coursework tasks account for 60% of the overall grade at AS and A level. The remaining 40% is assessed through the final written exam.
Many students continue to pursue something within the field of Design. Whilst many students go on to study an Engineering degree at University (in a variety of disciplines), other pursue a more design related degree such as Product Design, or Industrial Design. Some students successfully apply for apprenticeship programmes whilst others gain employment in an engineering environment. A very high proportion of students who study this course significantly exceed their target grades. This is reflected in the high quality of the practical element of their coursework which students produce. The products produced are truly ‘marketable quality’ and would not look out of place in a ‘designer’ retailer. A number of students have gone on to successfully study Industrial Design or Product Design at University, further developing the skills gained whilst in the Sixth Form at Warren.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Warren School directly.