Construction Foundation Studies BTEC Level 1 Diploma at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
Students on this course enjoy the opportunity to have real hands-on experience of working with a variety of construction materials. They also enjoy the weekly opportunities to socialise and be active.
Typical activities include playing football, snooker and pool, taking part in boxing training sessions or just going for a coffee and socialising.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Developing Bricklaying Skills
- Developing Carpentry Skills
- Developing Building Maintenance Skills
- Developing Plumbing Skills
- Developing Electrical Installation Skills
This course gives students a wide experience of three different areas of construction. There is a mixture of core theory and specialist practical units. The wider area of working in construction is explored through research and visits.
Students are coached to use job seeking and interview skills. All students are taken through the process of getting a job in the construction industry. All students will have an opportunity to develop skills in brickwork, carpentry and building maintenance and will also study English and maths. The management of the course involves giving each student a behaviour and performance grade for each lesson. This contributes to an overall record of achievement and supports progression. arting Work in Construction
- No formal entry qualifications are required
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered subject to satisfactory interview.
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work.
Study options may include:
- Level 1 Diploma in Plumbing & Electrics
- Level 1 Diploma in Brickwork
- Level 1 Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery
- Foundation Studies in Engineering & Motor Vehicle
- Foundation Studies in Computing and IT
- Foundation Studies in Employability Skills
Employment options may include:
- Various roles in the construction industry after successful completion of specialist Level 1 or Level 2 qualifications at HLC
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.