Drama and Theatre Studies A Level at Southfield School for Girls Specialist Sports and Science College
This qualification is invaluable to those students who are interested in furthering their studies or gaining employment in drama, theatrical performance or other areas of the performing arts.
It is widely recognised that the transferable skills obtained through the study of Drama – such as co-operation, negotiation skills, presentation skills, increased self-awareness and self-confidence – appeal to many employers outside the world of the Performing Arts. The course is exciting, engaging and excellent preparation for higher education or the world of work.
In Year 12 students will:
Explore drama and theatre through improvisation, devising techniques and collaborative workshop activities
1. Study a range of dramatic texts with a focus on key practitioners through teacher-led workshops
2. Watch and review live theatre performances and perform work for audiences throughout the course
3. Compile a portfolio and complete an open-book mock written exam which is based on work undertaken throughout the year
In Year 13 students will:
4. Devise an original piece for presentation to an audience and evidence this process through a working notebook
5. Study set texts and key extracts for performance accompanied by an evaluative report on the process
6. Experience live theatre as a member of the audience and sit an open-book written examination which is based on work undertaken throughout the year.
GCSE Drama Grade C, or BTEC Merit in Acting
A-level Drama and Theatre is divided into three components:
- Drama and theatre (written exam)
- Creating original drama (devising)
- Making theatre (exploration and performance of extracts taken from published plays)
This course is a 2 year course. We explore all components over the 2 years and work hard to prepare for the level of knowledge needed for further education and/or the world of work. You will find that Sixth Form classrooms are a hub of energy, excitement, creativity and hard work-there is never a dull moment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Southfield School for Girls Specialist Sports and Science College directly.