International Baccalaureate - Mathematical Studies at The Rochester Grammar School
This standard course is intended for students who do not anticipate a need for Mathematics in their future studies. In particular, the course covers the display and analysis of data in a vareity of forms and there is an emphasis on real-life situations and the application of Mathematics to tangible problems.
- Introduction to the graphic display calculator
- Number and algebra
- Sets, logic and probability
- Geometry and trigonometry
- Introductory differential calculus
- Financial Mathematics
GCSE Mathematics at grade 5 or higher tier.
In order to gain access to The RGS Sixth Form, students must obtain 5 GCSE grades at A*-B (5+) including English Language and Mathematics.
- 80% external assessemnt: two written papers at the end of the two year course, each being 1 hour 30 minutes duration. Papers 1 and 2 are both calculator papers where a graphical display calculator is required.
- 20% internal assessment: a project involving the collection of information or the generation of measurements, and the analysis and evaluation of the information or measurements.
A sound knowledge and understanding of Mathematics is invaluable whatever you wish to do next. Further education and employment will both demand a practical and rounded mathematical ability and that's just what these courses will give you.
We all need Maths, whatever we choose to do in life. But if you're considering a Maths based career, say in the sciences or financial markets, you will need more knowledge that most and these courses will make sure you are well prepared for further studeis at university, or entry into the world of work.
If you wish to study at RGS, please apply directly to the school.
Application forms and further details can be found on the school website www.rochestergrammar.medway.sch.uk.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Rochester Grammar School directly.