Law AS Level at Woodcote High School
Law develops knowledge and understanding of the English Legal system. The study of Law enables students to develop analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills together with an understanding of legal method and reasoning, looking into subjects such as why rules are set, liability and criminal law.
This year focuses on law making, the legal system and the concept of liability: -
The nature of law and the English legal system
- Nature of law
- The rule of law
- Law making: parliamentary law making
- Law making: delegated legislation
- Law making: statutory interpretation
- Law making: judicial precedent
- Law making: law reform
- Law making: The European Union
- The legal system: the civil courts and other forms of dispute resolution
- The legal system: the criminal courts and lay people
- The legal system: legal personnel and the judiciary
- The legal system: access to justice and funding
- The rules of criminal law
- General elements of liability
- Non-fatal offences against the person
- The rules of tort law
- Liability in negligence for physical injury to people and damage to property
- Occupiers’ liability
- Remedy of compensatory damages
As a law student, you will study various aspects of the law, the system of rules that govern our society and how it impacts most of what we do. A Level Law provides a foundation for pursuing a career in Law as recognised by many universities.
You will be able to progress to a Law degree at university. A Level Law will also prepare you for further study and careers in Commerce, Finance, Publishing, Communications, Public Relations and Marketing.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Woodcote High School directly.