A Level Biology at North Oxfordshire Academy
The aims of the GCE in Biology are to enable students to:
- develop their interest in, and enthusiasm for, biology including developing an interest in further study and careers in the subject
- appreciate how society makes decisions about biology-related issues and how biology contributes to the success of the economy and society
- develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of How Science Works
- develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of biology and how they relate to each other.
- Unit 1: Lifestyles, Transport, Genes and Health (1 hour 15 minutes exam, 40% of grade)
- Unit 2: Development, Plants and the Environment (1 hour 15 minutes exam, 40% of grade)
- Unit 3: Practical Biology and Research Skills (Internally assessed, 20% of grade)
- Unit 4: The Natural Environment and Species Survival (1 hour 15 minutes exam, 40% of grade)
- Unit 5: Energy, Exercise and Coordination (1 hour 30 minutes exam, 40% of grade)
- Unit 6: Practical Biology and Experimental Investigation (Internally assessed, 20% of grade)
To do this course, you will need: 5 A*-C at GCSE including English, Maths and Science.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Oxfordshire Academy directly.