Accessibility links

National Foundation in Animal Management BTEC Diploma Level 3 at The Manchester College

Course description

This Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma has been designed to appeal to anyone with a passion for animals and an interest in learning all about care and management. The Animal Management BTEC is a one-year course, but you could also take it as part of a two-year programme alongside a different subject area, to expand your horizons and the knowledge you’re learning. Throughout the course, you’ll be studying the biology of a variety of different animals, as well as developing an understanding of the issues surrounding the welfare and ethics of keeping and caring for all types of creatures. You’ll learn about animal husbandry, both its practical importance for the farming industry and how care and breeding impacts upon the lives of exotic pets. You’ll also take a closer look at animal behaviour, and how different health issues and diseases affect all kinds of animals. As part of this course we’ll require you to complete work experience in the animal sector, with all modules designed to help you achieve the qualifications you need to apply for higher, degree level courses and follow a career you’re passionate about in the animal care industry.

Entry requirements

To enrol on this course, we’ll need you to have at least 5 GCSE qualifications at grade C or above, including English Language, Maths and Science. Alternatively, you should have a City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care, with a minimum grade of Merit. Before you start the course, you’ll also need to have completed a work placement in the animal care industry, with written evidence to support this. This should be set up so you spend one day a week in the work placement. Due to Government changes to grading systems for GCSES in 16/17, please follow the below link to see specific entry criteria for school leavers School Leaver Entry Requirements

Assessment

Two of the units on this course will be assessed externally by exams and compose 44% of your final qualification. The remaining 56% is assessed internally via a series of assignment work, both practical and written.

Financial information

All full-time courses are free to 16-18 year olds who meet funding regulations. For further details please call the Course Enquiry Team on 03333 222 444.

Future opportunities

If you’ve completed just the single year option on this course, you may wish to develop your skills further with the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management with Science, here at The Manchester College. Alternatively, you’ll have the qualifications you’ll need to apply for a university level degree course, like Veterinary Science, Oceanography, Zoo Management or Animal Behaviour. Each of these opens a whole range of possibilities for a future career in the industry, Link to Careers with jobs as varied as a Nature Reserve Manager or Police Dog Handler, a Zoo Keeper or Genetic Researcher!

How to apply

You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.

Last updated date: 10 April 2018
Provider logo

Key information

Venues

  • More information
    • Northenden Campus is a large, welcoming campus, offering a wide range of courses for school leavers, apprentices, adults and university-level students. We’ve invested £2 million in the campus to make it a great place to study vocational and academic courses. We’ve created a wildlife haven within the grounds and wildlife corridors connecting the site to the beautiful Wythenshawe Park nearby. Some of the facilities at Northenden are open to the public, including beauty salons.

      Facilities at Northenden Campus include:

      • fitness suite
      • football pitch
      • games area
      • large library resource centre (LRC)
      • SkillZone with extensive IT tools
      • art and design workshops
      • canteen and coffee bar
      • purpose built kitchen for catering courses
      • woodwork, ceramics and jewellery workshops
      • photography studios
      • salons (open to the public)
      • wildlife corridors to Wythenshawe Park
      • wildflower meadows
      • habitats for wildlife
      • birdboxes

      Local area

      Northenden is a suburb of south Manchester. There are shops, a supermarket, restaurants and takeaways 15 minutes’ walk from the campus in central Northenden. There are also a small supermarket and shops closer to the campus. Northenden is surrounded by green space. The campus is minutes away from Gib Lane Wood and Wythenshawe Park which includes a community farm. It is also close to the Mersey Valley nature reserve; a riverside walk through miles of countryside and parkland.