Food Preparation & Cooking C&G Level 1 Certificate at Macclesfield College
This course provides an introduction to the catering industry through practical work in the kitchen and theoretical work through various assignments. The NVQ Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery has been developed for those seeking a career as a chef in the catering industry and focuses on the wide range of cooking skills and knowledge required to be successful, which learners will be able to apply across a range of catering contexts.
During the course you will study both mandatory and optional units:
Mandatory Units include:
- Maintaining a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
Optional units include:
- A range of units covering preparation and cooking of vegetable and meat dishes
- The preparation of the restaurant for service
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved 2 GCSEs graded E-G.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
You will be assessed in the College’s Silk Room Restaurant and kitchen where you will be observed when completing a range of tasks
set for each unit. You will also complete a portfolio of evidence which will demonstrate your understanding of catering theory. The practical assignments will be graded Pass, Merit or Distinction. The overall qualification will also be graded Pass, Merit or
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
You will be required to purchase a basic kitchen uniform and you will be advised of this and the cost at your admissions interview.
After successfully achieving this course you may wish to:
- Apply to progress onto a range of qualifications within the hospitality and catering sector, for example the Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery or the Level 2 Diploma in Food and Beverage Service
- Pursue a career in the catering and hospitality industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.