Physics AS/A Level at Hall Cross Academy
Physicists explore the fundamental nature of almost everything we know of. They probe the furthest reaches of the earth to study the smallest pieces of matter.
Join them to enter a world deep beneath the surface of normal human experience. Physics, like all sciences, is a practical subject.
Throughout the course you will carry out practical activities including:
- investigating interference and diffraction of laser light
- measuring acceleration due to gravity
- investigating systems that oscillate
- investigation of the links between temperature, volume and pressure
- safe use of ionising radiation
- investigating magnetic fields.
These practicals will give you the skills and confidence needed to investigate the way things behave and work. It will also ensure that if you choose to study a Physics-based subject at university, you’ll have the practical skills needed to carry out successful experiments in your degree.
High B grades in Physics or Core and Additional Science and B grade in Maths GCSE.
There is no coursework on this course. However, your performance during practicals will be assessed.
There are three exams at the end of the two years for A-level, all of which are two hours long.
At least 15% of the marks for A-level Physics are based on what you learned in your practicals.
The AS has two exams at the end of the year. Both are 1 hour 30 minutes long.
Studying this course will leave you with the required skills for the following professions:
- Geophysicist/field seismologist
- Healthcare scientist, medical physics
- Higher education lecturer
- Radiation protection practitioner
- Research scientist (physical sciences)
- Scientific laboratory technician
- Secondary school teacher
Jobs where your degree would be useful include:
Meteorologist, Operational researcher, Patent attorney Product/process development scientist, Systems developer, Technical author, Financial sector or Investment banking Accountant.
You should read scientific articles in the news.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hall Cross Academy directly.