Health and Social Care Level 2 Extended Certificate at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
We aim to offer a way of teaching that makes health and social care interesting and rewarding. There are many opportunities to turn knowledge into practice such as taking blood pressure, glucose testing and peak flow readings.
As part of this course, work placements are arranged for two weeks during the year.
Do you enjoy meeting, talking and working with other people?
Are you keen to encourage equal opportunities?
Do you have an interest in finding out about human behaviour?
Health and social care is one of the largest employment sectors in the UK and opportunities are buoyant. This course will give you an understanding of how health and social care services work. You will learn about the care needs of a wide range of people of all ages and from all backgrounds and will be able to put your new skills into practice during your work placement.
On completion of this programme you will have a nationally recognised qualification which can lead to a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. Some students may decide they wish to specialise in other care-related areas such as childcare and can discuss these options at interview.
Topics you will cover include:.
- Human Lifespan development
- Effective Communication in Health & Social Care
- Healthy Living
- Human Body Systems and Care of Disorders
- Child Development and Observation
- The Impact of Nutrition on Health and Wellbeing
- Health & Social Care Values
- Creative & Therapeutic Activities
- Equality & Diversity
- Social Influences on Health & Wellbeing
- 4 GCSEs at grade E or above (to include maths and English), or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 1 qualification
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work.
There are various opportunities for further study or employment upon successful completion of your course.
Study options may include:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Childcare - Early Years Educator (Progression to both of these is dependent on you obtaining a Distinction overall at Level 2)
- Nurse Cadets
- Teaching Assistants
Employment options may include:
- Health Care Assistant/Nursing Auxiliary
- Medical Secretary
- Nanny/Au Pair
- Domiciliary Care
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.