Health & Social Care (Single) at The Burgate School and Sixth Fom centre
In the sixth form we offer Health and Social Care both as a single and a double option.
This is the single option.
The course is tailored to suit the students’ interests and career aspirations. Students organise their own vocational work experience after Christmas in the Lower Sixth and are encouraged to seek wider voluntary and paid vocational experience to broaden their experience.
The AS Level course consists of three units
- In Unit 1, Promoting Quality Care, you will explore the attitudes, prejudices, rights and responsibilities of people who use and provide services, and learn about the values of care and the ways in which organisations promote quality care.
- In Unit 2, Communication in Care Settings, you will be required to carry out a work experience placement, study communication skills and theories and explore what supports and inhibits communication.
- In Unit 3, Promoting Good Health, you will investigate the principles of health and well-being and plan and carry out a health promotion campaign.
The A2 course also consists of three units:
- Anatomy and Physiology, covering the function and dysfunction of different organ systems;
- Care Practice and Provision, requiring you to research the planning and provision of care services in the local area and to work closely with doctors surgeries and other local providers to explore how practitioners meet individual needs and work in partnerships;
- Understanding Human Behaviour, covering theories of human development and the factors that influence them.
- GCSE Grade C in English.
- You will also need to undertake a period of work experience within a health and social care setting for one day a week for six to eight weeks. This will enable you to observe the methods of communication used within a care setting and is vital to the completion of the ’Communication in Care Settings’ portfolio.
- GCSE Health and Social Care will be of benefit but is not essential.
These qualifications provide an ideal platform for further training, higher education and employment in fields such as: Nursing, Midwifery, Early Years Teaching, Physiotherapy, Pharmacology, Child Care, Social Care, Social Work, Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Burgate School and Sixth Fom centre directly.