Art & Design A-Level at Dallam School
The aims of this course are to:
- Introduce students to a range of practical skills in 2 and 3 dimensions.
- Understand the process of creating art from initial idea to final outcome.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the work of artists and designers both past and present and to use this knowledge to inform their own work.
- Develop confidence and independence when making decisions and creating art.
The AS Art, Craft and Design course consists of 2 components:
- Component 1: Portfolio (60% of A-level marks) Practical Work
- Component 2: Externally set assignment (40% of A-level marks) Preparatory period and 10 hours supervised time
The A Level Art, Craft and Design course consists of 2 components:
- Component 1: Personal Investigation (60% of A-level marks) Practical work supported by a 1000-3000 word essay
- Component 2: Externally set assignment (40% of A-level marks) Preparatory period and 15 hours supervised time
You should have achieved at least a C in Art at GSCE. You should also have achieved an A*-C grade in at least 5 subjects at GCSE level or equivalent.
The AS and A level Art, Craft and Design course is accepted for a wide range of University courses. Students have gone on to study for Art related courses such as the pre-degree Foundation Course in Art and Design and degree courses including Fine Art, Architecture, Graphic Design, Illustration, Textiles, 3D design, Photography, Product Design and Digital Media. A level Art is also widely accepted for academic subjects such as English, History and Law.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dallam School directly.