Hairdressing Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3 at Hugh Baird College
Apprenticeships are very popular programmes designed by employers that provide paid work-experience, training and qualifications to people aged 16 and above.
An Apprenticeship framework comprises:
- A work-based qualification NVQ National Vocational Qualification), assessed in the workplace, demonstrating practical skills linked to the job
- Functional skills, which show competency in English and maths applied to the workplace
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS); they include creative thinking, independent enquiry, reflective learner, effective participator, self management and team working.
In the workplace, candidates must complete a work-related qualification based the following units The NVQ consists of a credit value. A total of 58 credits must be achieved to complete this award.
Mandatory units- 21 credits
- Promote additional services or products to customers
- Monitor procedures to safely control work operations
- Provide hairdressing consultation services
- Creatively cut hair using a combination of techniques
Optional units – min 37 must be achieved
- Colour hair using a variety of techniques
- Provide colour correction services
- Creatively style and dress hair
- Creatively dress long hair
- Develop and enhance creative hairdressing skills
- Create a variety of permed effects
- Provide creative hair extension services
- Provide specialist consultation services for hair and scalp conditions (must be taken with UN4GH25)
- Provide hair and scalp treatments (must be taken with UN4GH24)
- Contribute to the financial effectiveness of the business
- Support customer service improvements
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of promotional activities
Applicants must be aged 16 or over. They must be employed in a business setting for a minimum of 30 hours a week (including work and College). Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including maths, English, ICT or science. All applicants will be individually interviewed and assessed.
After you have successfully completed this course and gained the relevant experience you could progress into a senior role in the workplace such as a salon supervisor /manager or progress with other career aims e.g. own your own business or become a trainer or Assessor in your industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hugh Baird College directly.