French A level at Wood Green School
Themes covered throughout AS and A Level French include:
• Family and relationships
• Work and unemployment
• Social issues, including equality, race and religion
• Festivals and traditions
• Law and order
• The environment
• Science and technology
• Heritage and history of France
Language learning is rooted in the context of French culture, and students will also study a French literary text and / or film. The course will be delivered in 4 hours per week. There is a particular focus on reinforcing and further extending students’ grammatical knowledge. We also devote a lesson every week to intensive speaking practice and preparation for the oral exam.
Grade B or above in GCSE French.
Students will be assessed in the following skills for AS and A level:
• Comprehension of authentic written texts and passages of spoken language
• Translation into English, and from English into French Speaking – discussions based on a stimulus and students’ own research into a topic of their choice
• Writing – a critical essay on a literary text or film that students have studied
French can be combined with almost any subject and will significantly improve the range of skills you offer to an employer. The opportunity to work abroad becomes a real possibility
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wood Green School directly.