Food Technology A Level at Poole High School
This course is beneficial for students who prefer to learn through a variety of methods and enjoy practical skills. The course content involves the following aspects—understanding the food industry, analysis of products, practical skills, recipe modification, nutrition, product development, HACCP, food science and the functional properties of food components.
A Level Food Technology complements other A-Levels such as Health and Social Care, PE, Biology and Business studies.
• Human nutrition,
• Relationship between diet and health,
• Dietary planning,
• Food hygiene and safety,
• Food science,
• Product development,
• Food labelling and Food additives,
• Current food issues, developments and consumer trends,
• Ethical, social and moral issues surrounding food.
Which students do well at A-Level Food Technology?
• …those who have an interest in how to adapt and change recipe to make a new and unique product.
• …those who want to use and learn new practical skills
• …those who enjoy knowing why ingredients are added to certain recipes and their properties.
• …those who have an interest in nutrition, food hygiene and safety principles within the food industry.
• …those who want to know about special diets.
• 50% Coursework of AS (25% in Year 12 – a portfolio of work, 25% in Year 13 one whole project).
• 50% of AS (25% of A2) - 2 hour written paper
• 2 hour written paper – 25% of A2.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Poole High School directly.