Applied Science: Applied, Medical or Forensic Pathways (Level 3) at Central College Nottingham
This course is offered as three separate pathways: Applied, Medical or Forensic Science.
Depending upon the chosen pathway, you will study from the following units:
- Microbiological Techniques
- Using Statistics in Science
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Criminal Psychology
- Biochemistry / Biochemical Techniques
- Medical Physics Techniques
- Chemistry for Biology Technicians
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Chemical Laboratory Techniques
- Diseases and Infections
- Criminal Investigation Procedures / Practice
English and Maths are an essential part of your studies and will help you succeed on your course. These subjects will help you develop confidence and are the key employability skills that all employers now look for when recruiting.
For the Diploma you will need one of the following:
- 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C including English Language*, Maths and Science
- A relevant Level 2 qualification including GCSE English Language* and Maths at grade A*-C
For the Extended Diploma you will need one of the following:
- 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C including English Language, Maths and Science
- A relevant Level 2 qualification including GCSE English Language and Maths at grade A*-C
*If you do not have GCSE English Language at A*-C, we may accept a Grade D in addition to your 4 GCSEs at A*-C. Functional Skills may be accepted instead of GCSE English and/or Maths. Functional Skills Level 1 is equivalent to GCSE Grade D and Level 2 to GCSE Grade C.
Adults who are aged 19+ with relevant industry experience but without the necessary qualifications are welcome to apply.
You will be expected to wear low heeled, closed toe shoes, laboratory coats and eye goggles while working in the laboratory.
- The course is equivalent to three A levels but it is possible to do one year and achieve the equivalent of three AS levels
- Degrees in Health Science, Chemistry, Biology, Animal Science, Nursing / Midwifery, Biomedical Science, Microbiological Science, Forensic Science, Criminology, Psychology, Environmental / Conservation
- Foundation Degree in Forensic Criminology
- HNC / HND in Biology or Chemistry
Pursue a career in the science industry, a microbiology lab, genetics, engineering, a hospital related career, forensics, psychology, criminology, nursing, as an operating theatre practitioner, in radiography, health sciences, or as a pharmacy or lab technician Apprentice.
To support your application you will need to provide a handwritten personal statement (one side of A4 paper).
You will be expected to wear low heeled, closed toe shoes, laboratory coats and eye goggles whilst working in the laboratory.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Central College Nottingham directly.