Sport and Active Leisure - Level 1 Edexcel BTEC Diploma at Vision West Nottinghamshire College
A course for those interested in pursuing a career in sport and leisure.
You will study subjects such as:
- Taking part in exercise and fitness
- How the body works
- Investigating rights and responsibilities at work
- Exploring career choices
- Working as part of a group
- Physical activities for children
- Safe learning in the workplace
- Working in sport and active leisure
English and maths are a mandatory part of the course and you will be required to study these at the appropriate level. These qualifications are designed to enhance your employment opportunities and support you to progress.
As part of the course you will be expected to complete a minimum of 20 hours work placement for 'on the job' training and assessment.
As part of the programme of study, you’ll have access to top facilities including the college’s new sports hall – built to Sport England standards.
Study units such as taking part in sport, how the body works, investigating rights and responsibilities at work and job opportunities in sport and active leisure.
Spend time both in and away from the classroom doing activity-based sessions.
You are also required to complete volunteering opportunities and work experience.
- Two GCSEs with at least 2 points (grade E) preferably including either English, maths or both OR
- A minimum of Entry Level 3 Functional Skills English and maths
You will need to attend an interview with the tutor before being accepted on to the course. You may also need to supply at least one written reference from a teacher or employer (in some cases two) and/or your current school or college report.
Mature students (those aged 21 or over) who do not have the qualifications required for entry may still be eligible, subject to an interview. Relevant experience, a strong portfolio of work and a commitment to the subject you wish to study may be acceptable for certain courses.
Written portfolio work
What can I go on to study?
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Uniformed Services
- BTEC Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Sport
- Diploma in Sport (Activity Leadership)
- Sports players
- Leisure and sports managers
- Sports coaches, instructors and officials
- Sports and leisure assistants
- Fitness instructors
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Vision West Nottinghamshire College directly.