Community Sports Leaders Award CSLA at Prior Pursglove And Stockton Sixth Form College
WHAT IS CSLA?
CSLA is a 1-year course, usually completed in your first year. It is aimed at developing your ability to communicate, plan and lead sporting activities safely and effectively. On successful completion of the course you gain a nationally-recognised leadership award (Sports Leaders UK).
It is a practical course, with the emphasis on developing your leadership, communication and teamwork skills in a sporting environment (as well as having fun!). It is about participation not your sporting ability.
You will have one lesson a week over the year. Initially this will be teacher lead covering the key aspects. It then becomes more student-centred as you put your leadership skills into practice.
There are 7 core units which are shown below
- Plan, lead & evaluate a sport session
- Develop leadership skills
- Lead a session to improve fitness
- Adapting sports activities
- Establish & maintain a safe sports session
- Organise & deliver a sports event or competition
- Pathways in sport & recreation
You are assessed in two ways:
- You and a partner have to successfully run a lesson on a sporting activity of your choice
- Complete 10 hours voluntary leadership. This could be at a local sports club, school or holiday club or, by signing up with the Colleges Volunteer Academy to activities throughout the year.
CSLA is a very popular course at PPC, usually with over 100 students following it each year. It is a good addition to a CV or university application, especially for those interested in a teaching, the Armed Forces or coaching career.
At the start of the course you will be given the opportunity to purchase Prior Pursglove College sports kit to wear during lessons and when you are volunteering in the local community. This kit is heavily subsidised by the college. Free gym membership is offered to all students.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Prior Pursglove And Stockton Sixth Form College directly.